By Stuart Macintyre, Sheila Fitzpatrick
'Against the Grain' examines the twin careers of Brian Fitzpatrick and Manning Clark and indicates the political and private problems that beset them either in the course of their careers. Fitzpatrick was once the older via an entire decade, born in 1905 and raised within the reduce middle-class suburb of Moonee Ponds. From the neighborhood kingdom college and Essendon excessive he received a scholarship to The collage of Melbourne and yet another residential scholarship to Trinity collage. whereas the following, he turned lively in scholar existence and helped discovered either the Labour membership and the coed newspaper, Farrago. This was once maybe an outlet for his rebellious spirit.
Read or Download Against the grain : Brian Fitzpatrick and Manning Clark in Australian history and politics PDF
Similar history_2 books
Can be shipped from US. fresh reproduction.
This booklet was once initially released sooner than 1923, and represents a replica of an immense historic paintings, holding a similar structure because the unique paintings. whereas a few publishers have opted to practice OCR (optical personality reputation) expertise to the method, we think this ends up in sub-optimal effects (frequent typographical error, unusual characters and complicated formatting) and doesn't competently guard the ancient personality of the unique artifact.
This choice of Latin texts, released in a brand new variation with an English translation, attracts at the wealthy hagiographical corpus of Anastasius, papal diplomat, secretary and translator in past due ninth-century Rome. The texts trouble arguable figures: Pope Martin I (649-653), whose competition to the imperially-sponsored doctrines of monenergism and monothelitism observed him exiled to Cherson the place he died in 654, and Maximus the Confessor, an japanese monk condemned to endure amputation and exile to Lazica for comparable purposes in 662.
- Measuring the wellbeing of Italians
- Roman de la Rose: A Study in Allegory and Iconography
- A History of Radionuclide Studies in the UK: 50th Anniversary of the British Nuclear Medicine Society
- Familiar Strangers: A History of Muslims in Northwest China
- Historia del capitalismo en México. Los orígenes. 1521/1763
- Kooperation und Verbrechen: Formen der »Kollaboration« im östlichen Europa 1939-1945
Additional resources for Against the grain : Brian Fitzpatrick and Manning Clark in Australian history and politics
Fitzpatrick’s one-year award of £700 amounted to no more than the basic wage but it allowed him to draft most of The Australian Commonwealth, and towards the end of the year he applied for another £700 to revise his earlier histories. Davidson was supportive, Clark more guarded. indd 24 24/7/07 11:59:48 AM from similar works that had recently appeared. 42 Clark’s reservations were shared by Professor JM Ward, the head of the history department at The University of Sydney ’and a member of the council’s research committee.
9. Manning Clark, ‘The Years of Unleavened Bread’, Meanjin, vol. 32, no. 3, September 1973, p. 250. indd 35 35 24/7/07 11:59:49 AM 64 65 66 67 68 36 and Stuart Macintyre (eds), The Oxford Companion to Australian History, Oxford University Press, Melbourne, 1998, p. 128. Stuart Macintyre and Anna Clark, The History Wars, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne, 2003, ch. 4. Geoffrey Blainey, ‘Drawing Up a Balance Sheet of Our History’, Quadrant, vol. 37, nos 7–8, July–August 1993, pp. 10–15. John Howard quoted in Brisbane Courier-Mail, 31 August 1996.
51 Although distinctly unimpressed by Clark’s account of his visit to the Soviet Union, he sent a message of succour when Clark was accused of communist apologetics. He had little sympathy for ‘Manning’s clouds of errata and Flaws and Moles and Mysticism’, but sprang instinctively to his defence when ‘the egregious [Malcolm] Ellis’ attacked the first volume of Clark’s History. 52 He did read the History and it confirmed his expectations. 53 Even his belated reply to Clark’s inaugural lecture on ‘Rewriting Australian History’ was written at the suggestion of his wife Dorothy.
Against the grain : Brian Fitzpatrick and Manning Clark in Australian history and politics by Stuart Macintyre, Sheila Fitzpatrick